Donor Advised Funds

Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation

Donor advised funds operate much like charitable savings accounts, giving you the flexibility to recommend the amount, and the cadence with which money is granted to NU and other charitable organizations.

Here’s how it works: You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend — but not direct — how much and how often money is granted. By doing this, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.

In exchange for this, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also lets you have or a centralized giving and record-keeping system in the same place.

Next Steps

There are many options for giving to National University, and we can help you decide which method works best for your particular needs:

  1. Contact the Development Office at (858) 642-8807 or to talk about supporting NU.
  2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  3. If you include NU in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.

Legal Name: National University
Address: 11255 N. Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037
Federal Tax ID Number: 23-7172306